Holiday Havens: Things to Do on St John Island
written on Tue 14 February 2017 by Taylor
Of all the places to visit in the US Virgin Islands, St John Island is reportedly the best, offering visitors of all ages many things to do. Three quarters of this island treasure in the Caribbean is managed by the Virgin Islands National Park, protecting the dense hiking forests, white sandy beaches and calm, crystal clear water from future development. You can travel to St John Island and see it in the same pristine state that people have been experiencing for hundreds of years.
Many holiday makers may be wondering what they can get up to on their visit to St John island and booking yourself into a Bed and Breakfast found in St Johns US virgin islands can make life a lot easier when on the island for sightseeing. In this article we’ve listed some of the fun things to do while you’re visiting.
- Boat rentals and charters. You could be out on the water by going to any number of boat rental places in Cruz Bay, Coral Bay or at Cinnamon Bay in the VI National Park. You can rent a motor boat to go your own way, schedule a chartered vessel or take a leisurely sail and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.
- Hiking. One of the most popular activities in St John is the National Park hiking trails. With nearly two dozen well maintained trails ranging from beginner to intermediate, the island has the perfect hiking trail for you.
- Scuba diving. You can experience the amazing underwater world of the Caribbean Sea. Whether you’re a beginner or experienced as a fiver you can dive down to see the shipwrecks and vibrant living reefs off shore from your chartered dive boat. As an ancient volcanic island, St John’s many bays offer swimmers the best scuba diving spots in the USVI.
- Snorkeling. St John Island offers beginner, intermediate and experienced swimmers an array of opportunities to see the amazing underwater world of the Caribbean Sea. You can snorkel marked trails right from the beach at Trunk Bay.
- Shopping. Head out to the shops and enjoy a browse. There are shops to the Wharfside Village and the shops at Mongoose Junction has dozens of great shops open.
- Spas. St John Island offers many ways to pamper you and your soul. Any one of the salons, spas and independent massage therapists on the island can help boost your spirit and ease any pain you have.
- Historical sites. There are several sites on the island that you won’t want to miss including the Annaberg Sugar Mill Ruins, Catherineberg Sugar Mill Ruins, Sugar Factory Ruis at Cinnamon Bay, Peace Hill – the former site of the Christ of the Caribbean statue with remaining windmill ruins.
Whatever you decide to do during your holiday ensure you head to the many beaches and top up that tan. You don’t have to stay indoors just cover with the right sunscreen to ensure that you don’t burn!